Adding soles to your knit or crochet shoes is the finishing touch that will add comfort and durability to your homemade project. Good soles will help your shoes or slippers stay comfortable while providing a firm base for your foot to walk around in.
If you’re new to making crochet shoes or slippers, you may be wondering how to get soles for your project. Some crafters like to make their own soles, others prefer to buy soles for their crochet projects and add them in.
We will give you a brief overview of both options so you can choose whether to make your own soles or buy some from a store.
Table of Contents
How Do You Make Soles for Crochet Shoes?
The most popular method for making your own soles for crochet slippers and shoes is to use suede or leather and create your own. Here’s how it’s done.
- Suede or Leather (any kind of leather such as faux works), rubber, or your preferred sole material
- Leather Punch
- Tapestry Needle
How to Make
- Take your sole material and cut an oval shape into the size you want for the shoes
- Trace the first oval shape onto your sole material to cut for the next shoe
- Take your leather punch and punch holes around the outside of your sole about 1/2 inch apart (try to keep your punches evenly spaced)
- Place your sole onto the bottom of your crochet slipper or shoe and use your tapestry needle to created blanket stitches to attach the sole to the shoe
- Repeat attaching the sole for your next shoe
That is it. You have now made your own soles and attached them to your project. Alternatively, if you don’t want to make a sole that covers the whole bottom of your shoe, some will just cut 2 smaller ovals to use on the ball and heel of the foot. This can be a good option too depending on what kind of shoes/slippers you are making.
Alternatively, if you actually want to crochet the entire sole out of yarn instead of using leather or rubber bottoms you follow this helpful video below
Where to Buy Soles for Crochet Shoes
If you would prefer to buy soles for your crochet shoes you have a few options on where to purchase them. The first spot you might want to check is your local craft store. The big brand stores like Michaels and Joanns will often have soles for you to buy.
Depending on your area, the big box stores like Walmart might also carry them. An alternative option many crafters are using is to buy a cheap pair of flip flops and use the bottom of that as a sole.
If you would prefer to shop online you would be able to find them online at the previously mentioned stores or you can buy soles on Etsy for your crochet and knit projects.
A good sole really completes your homemade shoes or slippers. It’s really not too hard to make your own, but if you want it to look and feel great, you may want to buy a pair of good soles. Thank you for reading and happy crafting!