Mohair is a natural fiber that is growing in popularity. Mohair yarn is prized by knitters and crocheters for its qualities and is commonly used to make sweaters, blankets, and other clothing items. You may be wondering what mohair is and what makes it so special.
Here we will cover everything you need to know about mohair.
Table of Contents
What is Mohair?
Mohair is a luxurious natural wool fiber that is prized for many of its properties. Mohair is essentially a type of wool. It is an extremely soft fiber that is excellent for making a variety of projects.
How is Mohair Made?
Mohair comes from Angora goats. It is made by shearing the hairs of the goat which usually happens twice a year. The older the goat, the thicker the diameter of the fiber. Young goats produced a thinner fiber.
After mohair is produced it can then be blended with other fibers. Mohair can then be turned into yarn for knitting and crochet or it can be made into fabric for clothing items, wigs, home decor products, and more.
Advantages of Mohair
More is popular because it has many advantages over standard fibers. The advantages of mohair include:
- Strong and Durable – like other wool fibers, mohair is very strong and durable, which makes it great for using in a variety of projects
- Lustrous – the lustrous look of mohair is another reason this fiber is prized. It can be shiny like silk, particularly when blended with other fibers
- Lightweight – Mohair is lightweight, which makes it great for clothing items
- Warm – Like other wool fibers, mohair is extremely warm and is a great insulator
- Moisture Wicking – Mohair also has great moisture-wicking properties
- Resists Wrinkles – This fiber also has some wrinkle resisting properties that make it great for luxury projects
- Soft and Silky – Mohair is also very soft and silky, which is another reason this luxury fiber is so highly prized
- Dyes Well – Moahir tends to absorb color well, so the mohair fibers that you find are often beautifully vibrant
Disadvantages of Mohair
Mohair does have some great qualities, but there are also some disadvantages of mohair. These include:
- Expensive – The biggest disadvantage of mohair is simply its price. This luxury fiber can be pretty expensive compared to other options, but you may be able to find blends that are somewhat cheaper
- A Little Stiff – Mohair is soft and fluffy, but it is a little stiffer than Merino. This is something to be aware of if you’re trying to choose the best wool for your project
Is Mohair Itchy?
Mohair is less itchy than most other types of wool fibers. Most people should find it very soft, warm, and comfortable. However since it is an animal fiber, some may have sensitivity to it.
Some people may have reactions to natural fibers such as mohair. Mohair allergies aren’t very common, but if you find the material itchy, you may have an allergy to it.
Here are some signs that you may be allergic to mohair:
- If you find mohair itchy and scratchy
- Red eyes
- Watering eyes
How to Make Mohair Less Itchy
If you have an allergy to mohair there’s not much you can do to make it less itchy. However, sometimes mohair products like sweaters that are itchy can be softened so they don’t feel so scratchy against your skin.
You can try rinsing it in cold water and using a small amount of fabric softener. This might help soften it and make it more comfortable. Other options are cold water and white wine vinegar soak.
Removing any lint on your mohair pieces can also make them more comfortable.
Can You Wash Mohair?
Yes, you can wash mohair. But like most luxury wool, it is best to wash by hand and let air dry. Handwashing with a mild detergent is the safest option if you don’t want to damage your mohair fabric.
You can also find wool detergents that are specifically designed for wool fabric. These are good to use.
Avoid washing at hot temperatures because this can cause the fabric to shrink and lose color.
You may also wash on a gentle cycle and air dry if you don’t feel like washing by hand.
What is Mohair Best For?
Mohair is best for clothing items such as sweaters, hats, shirts, socks, and more. It is also great for blankets and other home decor items. You can also find it being used in upholstered furniture but it tends to be expensive. If you’re trying to figure out what to make with mohair, we think clothing is the best.
Mohair is one of the best kinds of luxury wool that you can use for your projects. It’s a great option if you’re looking to make clothing items or blankets, and not many people have allergies to it. You may also consider merino for your projects, but remember that these fibers tend to be pretty expensive compared to other options.